Login

Nightmares by Pari



Silently they stood across the room from each other, neither knew what to say to the other. It felt like hours had passed before Kevin got the courage to finally speak.

“Well I guess you got what you wanted, more like who you wanted.” He said.

“Kevin no, it wasn’t like that.” Garcia tried to explain but deep inside she knew there was no excuse for how she had betrayed him.

“I’m not stupid!” Kevin yelled and Garcia jumped a bit startled, she had never seen him so mad. “So how long…”

“Just last night.” Garcia stated not volunteering that it had been several times during the night, up until the sun began to rise. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t apologize when you don’t mean it.”

“But I do mean it I never meant to hurt you.”

“Really, you never meant to hurt me? Well, for future reference if you cheat on your boyfriend, you’re gonna hurt him.” He said as his voice rose again. Fresh tears spilled from her eyes. “I gotta go,” he said and then turned to leave.

“Kevin wait, please let’s talk about this.” Garcia begged.

“What’s there to talk about? What are you gonna say, ‘It’s not you it’s me…I’m just not that into you anymore? Well save it I can take a hint.”

“No, I wasn’t going to say any of those things. Kevin I still want…”

“Want to what, still be friends? I don’t want to be your friend Penelope. I love you,” He spoke the latter words in a hushed tone as he avoided her eyes. Garcia’s heart fluttered and ached at hearing the words. She knew she had feelings for Kevin, strong feelings but she didn’t know if it was love yet. As for Morgan she knew she had love for him, but also knew that there was a lot of lust mixed in there too. She stood there pondering about who would make her happy, she knew they’d both try, but who was the more ‘stable’ guy.

“I’m gonna go now,” He said and again moved to the door. He turned back before he exited. “I know this is gonna sound pathetic but I’ll be here waiting, if you ever decide that the grass isn’t greener over there.” He said with a small smile and then let the office, closing the door behind him. Garcia then crumbled into tears.




She had taken the rest of the day off and left without being seen by anyone, she felt like she couldn’t face anyone. She thought that if they saw her they’d instantly know what she had done, that she had cheated on her boyfriend, who was the nicest, sweetest, and most decent guy she had ever dated. When she got to her apartment complex, she had planned to go inside, take the phone off the hook and chow down on the rocky road ice cream she had just purchased from the grocery store, and just ball up on the couch and cry her eyes out some more. However, when she opened the door she found the last person she had been expecting to see, sitting there.

“Kevin?” She called out to grab his attention. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to return your key, I actually brought back to your office but you were gone. So I came here to just slide it under your door, but on the drive over here I got to thinking…about us. Penelope,” He spoke s he stood from the couch and fully turned to face her. “I don’t’ want things to end like this.” She smiled kindly at him.

“Me either.” She replied relieved that they might be able to talk things out amicably.

“I want us to work this out, get past it.” He continued as he moved to her and took the bags she held in her arms and moved towards her kitchen. She happily followed him.

“Me too. Oh Kevin I’m so glad to hear you say that I thought you’d never want to speak to me again.”

“I didn’t…at first, but like I told you I love you,” He said and she looked away coyly, not knowing how to respond. “And I know you love me, I can feel it every time we make love.” He said as he moved to her and rubbed his hands up and down her shoulders. “I can make you feel it again, I can make you love me more than you could ever love ‘him’.” He spoke as he gripped her arms and moved them back towards the couch.

“Kevin, you’re hurting my arms. Let go.” Garcia stated softly as a slight panic filled her, which increased when she stared into his eyes. They looked so void of any feelings.

“I just want to show you how good it can be, how much I love you.” He said as he continued to move them back toward the couch. Once there he shoved Garcia down a bit forcefully and then placed himself on top of her. She struggled to get him off but he held her down and began kissing her neck.

“Kevin, stop it, please stop it.” She begged as one of his hands trailed down to the hem of her skirt. “No!”




“Now I’m starting to get worried,” Prentiss stated. “I know her letter said she was taking a much needed vacation, but it just doesn’t feel right. It was just so sudden.”

“I know.” J.J replied as they stood near their desks talking about Garcia. “It’s been three weeks and poor Morgan is about to lose his mind.” They both turned to Morgan who was standing over Reid, whom he had tracking transactions on Garcia’s credit cards, hoping it will give him a lead to follow. When Morgan stood upright and then kicked a nearby trashcan, before turning to leave they knew it must have been another dead-end.

“Sorry,” Reid called after him as Prentiss and J.J walked over to his desk. “There’s been no activity on Garcia’s credit cards, which suggests she’s using cash.” Reid explained.

“Well she’s worked here long enough to learn a few things on how to get lost and not be found.” Prentiss said as she leaned against a nearby desk and folded her arms across her chest. “I just wish she’d call, let us know she’s all right.” And as if her words had willed it, J.J’s cell began to ring. She moved off a bit to get some privacy before she answered.

“Hello,”

“J.J?” A low but familiar voice spoke through the phone. J.J’s face lit up as she turned back to the other two who were engrossed in their conversation. “I don’t know who’s there with you but please don’t let on that you’re talking to me. I don’t want them to know it’s me or where I am.” J.J. quickly turned away just as Prentiss looked at her with a questioning gaze.

“Ok, but honey where are you. We’ve been so worried about you.” J.J. spoke in a hushed tone, and a sniffle came back through the phone. “Garcia what’s wrong, honey are you ok?” J.J. asked as a rush of panic filled her.

“No,” Garcia cried. “I’m so scared and I don’t know what to do.”

“OK tell me where you are and I’ll come get you.” J.J waited for what felt like an eternity before Garcia spoke again.

“It’s my family’s cottage, the one I inherited from my parents after they died.” Garcia said.

“I remember you telling my about it, someplace in Elizabethtown, North Carolina right?”

“Yeah, Bay Tree Lake.” Garcia answered. “I really need your help.”

“I’m on my way right now, Garcia. I can be there within the hour.” J.J. replied.

“That Garcia?” Morgan asked as he re-entered their desk area and walked over to where J.J. stood with the phone still pressed to her ear. Morgan didn’t wait for a reply, just snatched the cell from J.J. and placed it to his ear. “Garcia, baby girl is that you?” There was a few moments of silence before he heard a click, and then the line went dead. Morgan then turned back to J.J. “Was that Garcia?” J.J. hesitated not wanted to betray Garcia’s trust, but also not wanting to lie to the others who were just as worried about Garcia as she was.

“Yes, she’s fine. She was just calling to check in.” J.J. replied.

“Where is she?” Morgan demanded.

“She asked me not to say, I have to respect her wishes.”

“Damnit J.J., you better tell me where she is.” Morgan said.

“Derek, I know how you feel…”

“You don’t have any idea about how I feel.” J.J. clamped her mouth shut not wanting to expose the secret that she knew about Morgan and Garcia’s relationship.

“She doesn’t want you to know where she is, she practically begged me not to tell. I have to respect that.”

“Fine,” Morgan said as he held up J.J’s cell phone “I’ll just get a trace on your phone.”

“Not without my authorization you won’t.” Hotchner spoke from the upper deck, which lead to his office. “We’re all worried about Garcia, but J.J’s right we have to respect her wishes. She’s on vacation not missing, we won’t waste any more company time and resources searching for her, am I understood.” He directed this statement to Reid, who in turn nodded his head and looked away. Hotchner then looked back to Morgan. “Morgan, am I understood?”

“Whatever,” Morgan replied as he tossed J.J. back her phone and then walked by her, while shooting angry glares at her.

“Hotch, can I speak with you for a moment?” J.J. asked. She knew he was serious about them not using any company resources on Garcia, but she also knew that she had to get to Garcia and the fastest way she would be able to would be if she took the jet.




She had found the cottage easily with the directions Garcia had given her, though she thought it looked more like a log cabin than a cottage. It was big and beautiful, seated right next to the lake’s shore. She approached cautiously and when she got up on the porch she peered into the window. She saw Garcia pacing the room nervously, and so she moved to the door and knocked. She heard Garcia’s footsteps as she rushed to the door; J.J. noticed the curtain on the door moved back just a bit before she heard the lock unlatch. The door swung open and Garcia instantly grabbed her into a tight embrace.

“God, I’m so glad you’re here.” Garcia cried as she clung to her friend.

“And I’m glad to see you, you’ve had us so worried.” J.J. said as she pulled back. “What’s going on, you sounded terrified on the phone.”

“Come in,” Garcia said as she moved back to allow her friend entrance. J.J. entered the large room, which was just a big open space that held the living room with a huge stone fireplace, the dining area and big beautiful kitchen. There were stairs in the middle, just in front of the door that lead up to the second floor, which J.J. assume had to be where the bedrooms were.

“This is a gorgeous place.” J.J. stated. “And so peaceful.”

“Thank you, yes it’s very peaceful which is why I came here. I needed to clear my head and figure some things out.” Garcia said as they moved into the living room and took a seat on the couch near the fireplace.

“Things like what? You, Derek, and Kevin?” J.J. asked and Garcia looked at her with questioning eyes. “Not too long after I left you and Morgan in your office I saw Kevin hurrying by, then not too long after that I saw Morgan and he looked pissed and then Kevin coming back through and he looked upset. I kind of put two and two together. Then you left suddenly. Did you and Kevin have a fight?” Garcia’s face instantly crumbled as she shook her head.

“He was very angry at first, but he came to my apartment later and said he forgave me and that he wanted to work things out. He told me he loved me,” Garcia said through her whimpers as tears poured from her eyes. “Then he…he raped me.” She finally said unable to meet J.J. eyes, which she knew would be full of pity.

“Oh sweetie, oh I’m so sorry.” J.J. said her own tears began to form as she reached out and grasped Garcia’s hand in comfort.

“It was my fault,”

“No, no it wasn’t your fault.”

“Yes it was. He was my boyfriend and I cheated on him, I hurt him and…”

”You didn’t deserve to be raped Garcia, regardless of what you did. Is that why you left?” Garcia nodded her head.

“I just couldn’t face him, afterwards he acted like we had just had make up sex. I was crying the entire time, begging him to stop, fighting him and he acted like we were making love. Then he just kissed me, told me he loved me and that he’d see me tomorrow. I was so afraid to see him again, afraid of what he might do. And I was terrified of Morgan finding out, he always knows when there’s something wrong and I’ve never been able to lie to him. I would have told him what Kevin did and he would have…”

“Killed Kevin.” J.J. finished already knowing how Morgan would react, will react when he learned of what had happened to Garcia.

“And if that isn’t bad enough, I think…I think I might be pregnant.”

“Oh honey,” J.J.’s heart went out to her friend and anger grew in her heart towards Kevin.

“I don’t know who the father is, it could be Derek’s or Kevin’s. Just the idea that it could be Kevin’s baby, that it was conceived that way…I don’t want it. And I’m so scared J.J., I’m so scared.” Garcia broke down again and crumbled into J.J.’s arm, and J.J. just held her and rocked her gently.

“It’s going to be ok, we’ll figure it out. Shhh…We’ll figure it out.”