Login

The Witness by Pari



He arrived back at Garcia’s office to find the others were accompanied by another person, Kevin Lynch.

“We got anything yet?” Morgan asked as he moved to stand over Lynch’s shoulder.

“Not yet, Kevin’s just got in WPP’s systems.” J.J. answered as she looked on.

“Here it is ‘Penelope Sophia Kolinsky,” Kevin announced triumphantly.

“Sophia, I didn’t know that was Garcia’s middle name, and Kolinsky?” Morgan said with a smile.

“Yeah Sophia was her grandmother’s name, and Kolinsky her ‘biological father’s name.” Kevin replied and Morgan’s smile faded at the knowledge that this man knew more about his ‘Goddess’ then he did. “Whoa,” Kevin croaked out as he opened a file and displayed some pictures.

“Oh my God, but I thought Garcia’s parents were killed by a drunk driver.” Reid said as he looked at the crime scene photos.

“Only if the driver got out and opened up on them with an Uzi.” Morgan said with an angry, disgusted look on his face.

“Can you get any news on Ruiz’s whereabouts we have got to get him before he finds Garcia?” Morgan said switching gears.

“Nothing conclusive or cohesive,” Kevin answered as he pulled up different news reels about the escape, on several monitors. “The locals in New York believe Ruiz and the other escapees haven’t gotten far, that they’re still in the vicinity. The CIA believes Ruiz is planning to leave the country, heading for Europe. While the DEA thinks Ruiz is heading back to Colombia.”

“I’m with the DEA on this one. Ruiz would head home. He obviously still has a lot of power there and I have no doubt he’s got millions hidden there.” Morgan stated.

“Then maybe that’s what he’ll do, go home and not bother Garcia.”Prentiss offered but Morgan simply shook his head.

“No her parent’s execution says otherwise. Look at the date.” All eyes tuned to the date stamped at the bottom of the pictures. “Ruiz was convicted in early March and started serving in late March. Garcia’s parents were killed in mid-April, and Garcia and her brothers went into witness protection that same day. Ruiz was sending a message that even from behind bars he could and would get her.

“Then why hasn’t he found her, I mean with his apparent resources it should have been easy.” J.J. pondered aloud.

“She changed her name,” Kevin supplied as he pulled up Garcia’s personal records again. “After the relocation she dropped her middle name and started using Garcia as her last name.”

“Still doesn’t make sense, I’m sure that would have been the first thing Ruiz would check for. Many children of such blended families get adopted and have their names changed.” Reid interjected.

“Yeah except according to this, Roberto ‘Bob’ Ortiz was never married to Penelope’s mother. They were together for nearly 15 years but never married.” Kevin stated.

“Ortiz?” Morgan repeated with a confused look. “What happened to Garcia?” At his words Kevin’s fingers flew across the keyboard and the others silently watched as he pulled up the personal file of Roberto Ortiz from the Census Bureau’s systems.

“It appears Garcia was Roberto’s Mother’s Maiden name. I guess Penelope figured using Ortiz would have been a bit obvious.”

“That’s my girl, always thinking ahead,” Morgan threw out and Kevin turned slightly and gave him a look.

“Yes my Penelope is very smart that way.” Kevin said and then focused back on the computer screen. Neither Morgan nor Reid seem to notice the strong scent of testosterone that was filling the small office, but Prentiss and J.J. did and they threw each other knowing looks.

“I need you to put a trace on a cell phone for me,” Morgan said to Kevin as he leaned against the desk.

“Sure what’s the number?” Kevin asked as he readied his fingers over the keypad.

“743 684 0000.” Morgan stated.

“That’s your cell number, why are you putting a trace on your own phone?” Reid asked truly confused.

“Because Garcia took your phone didn’t she?” Prentiss asked with a grin.

“Yep, it was when we kissed. I was a bit distracted and didn’t even feel it.” Morgan said with a smile. “I called her and she’s fine but she wasn’t able to tell me where she was.”

“You guys kissed?” Kevin interrupted.

“She kissed us all goodbye Kevin.” J.J. quickly tossed out the lie, which seemed to appease Kevin.

“I told her to keep the phone on and we’ll be able to track her.” Morgan continued.

“And Viola,” Kevin exclaimed. “They’re in Johnson city, TN. The signal isn’t moving so they must’ve stopped.”

“Or they discovered she had a cell phone and tossed it out the window.” Prentiss added.

“Johnson city, that’s about a good 7 hour drive.” Morgan stated as he mulled it over in his.

“Yeah if you drive, but if you take the jet you can be there within the hour, and Hotchner already approved it.” J.J. said. “But you should make sure that Garcia is there first, before you gas us the jet.”

“I can find out,” Morgan pulled out Reid’s cell and started texting, within a few seconds he got a reply. “It’s Pen, yes she’s still got the cell. She says they’ve stopped for the night at some place called the Carnegie Hotel. Can you get me some direction and some blueprints would be nice too.” Morgan said jokingly.

“Sure thing,” Kevin said as he steadily typed. “It’s printing out for you now.” He pulled the sheets of paper from the printer and handed them to Morgan.

“Damn I was kidding about the blueprints,” Morgan said with a chuckle.

“Oh sorry,” Kevin apologized sincerely.

“That’s all right my man they’ll come in handy thanks. Penelope was right you are good.” Morgan declared, and Kevin smiled broadly.

“So what’s your plan when you get there, you saw how those guys reacted in the bullpen earlier. They will shoot you if they catch you trying to kidnap Garcia from their custody.” Prentiss stated.

“Then I’ll just have to make sure I don’t get caught,”

“Well what do you want us to do?” Reid asked.

“Just keep digging up all you can about Ruiz’s whereabouts and let me know the second you find anything. You don’t mind if I keep this do you?” Morgan asked Reid as he tucked Reid’s cell into his pocket.

“Sure,” Reid complied not even bothering to object, knowing he didn’t really have a choice in the matter.

“Thanks man.” Morgan said as he then moved to the door.

“Uhm agent Morgan,” Kevin called to him and Morgan stopped at the door and turned back to face him. “Please tell Penelope that I love her.” His confession of love endeared both Prentiss and J.J., baffled Reid, and for reasons he himself couldn’t explain, irritated Morgan.

“Sure man, but you can tell her yourself when she comes back.”