Login

The Witness by Pari



She felt the vibrations from the phone hidden under her skirt, and she quickly stood and started for the bathroom.

“You gotta go again Penny? That’s the 5th time since we got here,” Boyle stated from his spot on the other bed in the room.

“Uhm…yeah, last year I was shot and the bullet did some damage. So I tend to go a lot now, and especially when I’m nervous.” Garcia lied.

“Yeah sorry, I heard about that. Did they get the guy who shot you?”

“Yeah right between the eyes,” She replied and then turned and rushed to the bathroom. “I think I’ll take a long hot bath and try to relax.” She threw out as she entered the bathroom, locking the door behind her. She quickly turned on the water in the tub but didn’t put the plug in. She then sat on the edge of the tub and reached up under her skirt to retrieve the phone. She opened the phone and redialed the last number to call her, and prayed the noise of the running water would be enough to drown her out. After only one ring the call connected.

“Garcia?” Morgan’s voice filled her ears.

“Yeah it’s me,” She replied in a whisper.

“What’s all that noise?”

“When I felt the phone vibrating I said I was going to take a hot bath, and then I came into the bathroom and started a bath. I’m hoping Boyle doesn’t hear me over the noise. He’s staying in the room with me.”

“Where are the other two Marshals staying?”

“They have the room next to ours, but I heard Boyle telling them that they would take turns walking the perimeter all night.” She stated.

“Yeah I just saw one walk by,” Morgan said as he continued watching the man’s movements with his night vision goggles.

“What! Wait, you’re here, right now?” Garcia exclaimed in a hushed tone and Morgan smiled into the phone.

“Of course Sweetness, now you really didn’t think I was gonna just let you do this all alone, did you?” Garcia’s heart and eyes swelled up at the knowledge that her dark Knight had come to rescue her, then she remembered the Marshals shoot to kill order.

“No, wait you can’t do this they will shoot you,” Garcia said.

“I have about 4 ½ minutes before that Marshal comes back around to this side, so open this window and let’s go woman.” He commanded and with a look of confusion Garcia turned and moved to the window over the toilet. Her look turned to happiness when she opened the window and found Morgan smiling up at her. “3 ½ minutes baby, we’ve gotta go.” At his words she quickly put the cell back in its hiding place under her skirt, and then stood up o the toilet’s seat and with Morgan’s help she climbed out of the window. Morgan quickly tugged Garcia into the brush along the edge of the dark woods behind the hotel. “Hold up,” He stilled them as he saw a light from the Marshal’s flashlight coming around the corner. The Marshal paused briefly by the window and lifted the walkie talkie he was carrying to his mouth. Garcia silently cursed herself for not closing the window, but then breathed a sigh of relief when the Marshal walked off and continued on his trek around the building. Once he rounded the corner Morgan moved them again. “Come on let’s go I parked about a mile this way.” He stated as he pulled her through the dense woods.

“Wait, slow down I can’t see a thing.” She said still whispering.

“I can see, don’t worry I’ve got you.” Morgan replied as they continued to run. Then he suddenly stopped them. “Give me your cell phone.” He instructed.

“Ok, but you have to turn around.” She said and he bunched his brow in confusion at her request.

“Why, where did you hide it?” he asked with a chuckle already picturing in his head where she had hid it.

“None of your business just turn around.” Morgan obliged her as he continued to chuckle. “Here,” She spoke out after a few seconds. Morgan turned back to face her with a huge smile on his face as he took the phone she held out to him. “Why do you need your phone back anyway, don’t you have another one?” She asked as he pulled out Reid’s phone.

“They can track us with these phone, I want to make sure we have a big head start before they realize I was the once who grabbed you.” Morgan answered as he began taking the phones apart, tossing the phones and their batteries into some bushes. He then took the sims cards he had removed from the phones and placed them on a nearby boulder, he pulled out a lighter and put the hot flames against the cards, holding it there until the cards melted and there was nothing left but black goo. They then continued on their journey until they came upon a 1977 green caddy.

“Nice,” Garcia said truly loving the car.

“Thanks I bought it from some farmer along the way. Left my rental with him and called Avis and told them where to pick it up.”

“Won’t Avis have a paper trail?” Garcia asked as they got into the caddy and sped off.

“Yeah but I paid with cash so it will take them some time to track me, that is if they have an analyst as good as you.”

“Well we both know that’s not possible, I’m one of a kind baby.” Garcia joked.

“Don’t I know it,” Morgan replied with a wink.

“How in the world did you find me anyway, and knew what room we were in?” She asked as she got more comfortable in her seat.

“Well Kevin Lynch helped us find the hotel you were in and my badge got me your room number.”

“Kevin helped?” Garcia asked, surprised.

“Yeah why you sound so surprised? That guy seems to be crazy about you.” Morgan stated and purposely withheld what Kevin had asked him to relay to her.

“We kind of broke up and we haven’t spoken in over a month.” She confessed.

“Why? Did he do something…”

“No!” Garcia quickly said knowing that Morgan could jump to the wrong conclusion and that conclusion could get Kevin hurt. “Well sort of, but nothing bad.”

“Ok baby you’re being vague, did he or didn’t he do something?”

“He asked me to marry him.” Garcia stated.

“Say what?” Morgan replied giving her his full attention which caused the car to swerve into the opposite lane.

“Eyes on the road,” Garcia yelped and Morgan refocused on the road and quickly pulled the car back in its right lane.

“He asked you to marry him?” Morgan repeated suddenly growing angry.

“Yeah,” Garcia answered as she watched him puzzled by his seemingly agitated reaction.

“And what did you say?” Morgan asked in a commanding tone.

“I said no, thus the reason we haven’t been speaking.” Morgan breathed a sigh of relief. “Did you just say ‘whew’?” she asked and Morgan threw her a confused look, as he wondered if he had expressed his relief out loud.

“What? No,”

“Yes you did, I clearly heard a ‘whew’. Why would you be relieved to hear I said no and will now probably end up an old lady with a hundred cats?”

“It’s not you,” He paused to find the right words. “I just don’t think Lynch is the right guy for you.” Morgan said and then instantly cringed at how similar that had sounded to what he had told her about Battle. “Wait that came out wrong, what I meant to say is you can do better, you deserve better.”

“You’re basing that off of what? You don’t know Kevin. You’ve never even said two words to him since I introduced you two 10 months ago. So what makes you think he isn’t good enough?” Garcia asked genuinely wanting to know Morgan’s reasoning.

“No I don’t know him but I know you,”

“Then you should know that I’m not shallow or hung up on looks,”

“I didn’t mean it that way,” Morgan began to defend.

“And it’s not like I have to beat guys off with a stick. Kevin is sweet, he’s intelligent, funny, a noteworthy hacker, and believe it or not underneath the geek‘s uniform, he has got an incredible body, oh and the sex…” Morgan quickly held up his hand and interrupted her.

“Ok, I don’t want nor need that visual, thank you.” He said.

“Sorry,” Garcia giggled slightly enjoying that fact that she was making Morgan uncomfortable. “Kevin really is a great guy, a ‘too good to be true’ great guy.”

“And that’s the problem? The fact that he’s too good to be true?” Morgan asked.

“I’m sure your mother told you about those things that seem too good to be true and in my experience if it seems too good to be true it ‘always’ is, and I have battle wounds to attest to that. No pun intended.”

“Don’t sell yourself short baby girl, there’s a Mr. Perfect out there for you.”

“Yeah and maybe that Mr. Perfect is Kevin and I’m just being an idiot, letting him go, but I...”

“What?” Morgan questioned but she couldn’t reply. “Do you love him?” Morgan asked and found himself holding his breath as he awaited her answer.

“Yes I love him.” She finally responded honestly and Morgan inwardly groaned. “But I’m not ‘in love with him’.” She added. “God, that does make me shallow and kind of a ho.”

“No it doesn’t.”

“Yeah it does I’m sleeping with a man I’m not in love with, and to make matters worse I know he’s in love with me. I’m using him to satisfy some sexual itch, until my Mr. Perfect comes along.”

“That doesn’t make you a ho, that just makes you human. It’s human nature.”

“Is that what you tell yourself after your many conquests? Does that make what you do ok to you?” She asked in a snappy tone.

“What’s that suppose to mean?” He asked as he threw her an annoyed look and she rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest in response.

“That you have casual relationships all the time, and I don’t believe that’s something human’s are suppose to do. “

“So you think I’m a dog?”

“I think that it’s human nature to give love and to receive love, to make love, not just have ‘sex’. To find the person we’re crazy in love with and hopefully they’re crazy in love with us. Making love should always be special and not casual.” Morgan couldn’t argue with what she was saying so he just clamped his mouth shut and stared straight ahead. “I know what it’s like to give yourself completely to a person you feel is ‘the one’ only to wake up in the morning to find yourself lying next to a ‘thanks for the good time.” note. I wouldn’t wish that shame and pain on anyone, and I realize now that’s exactly what I was doing to Kevin every time we made love. Maybe it was a good thing we ended thing.” After several long minutes of silence Morgan spoke again.

“Do you think you could ever fall in love with him?”

“Yes very easily, but never completely and that wouldn’t be fair to him.”

“Why not completely?”

“Because, I’m in love with someone else.” Garcia confessed and her words stunned Morgan.

“Who, Is it someone I know?” He continued his interrogation.

“You see him every single day, but I don’t think you notice him.”

“And this guy doesn’t know how you feel?”

“Nope, he’s completely clueless. He’s kind of self absorbed and conceited too. Not to mention there are other women he seems to be more interested in. He’s a bit of a ladies man.”

“Sounds like a knuckle head if you ask me, it’s his loss baby. He’s obviously a fool.”

“Geez it’s amazing how you can tell so ‘much’ about the guys I tell you so ‘little’ about.”

“It’s what I do,” He said throwing her a smile and she couldn’t help but to smile back at him, even though she was a bit irritated with him at that moment. “Besides like I said before I know you. Any man who can’t see how beautifully amazing you are, and if he’s not bowing down and treating you like the Goddess that you are, then he’s a damn fool.” Garcia could on chuckled and shake her head at the man beside her.

“From your lips…” She said leaving the sentence to hang there as she turned and stared out the window.




A sudden jerk caused her eyes to fly open. “Sorry baby girl I was trying not to wake you.” Morgan said as he stood staring down at her. She realized that she was in some motel room, lying in a large bed.

“Where are we? How did I get here?” She asked still in a slightly sleepy haze.

“We’re in Atlanta, figured we could get lost here for a few days. As for the how you got here I carried. Morgan answered her questions as he opened and then closed the closet door, and then took a quick look inside the bathroom.

“You could have woke me up and I could have walked in here, no sense in you throwing your back out.” She said as she sat up more comfortable against the pillows behind her.

“You looked so peaceful I didn’t have the heart to wake you. Besides contrary to that you think you don’t weigh much.” He threw out as he moved and sat on the opposite side of the bed from where she lied. Garcia silently watched as he took off his shoes and began to stretch out. “Get some sleep this may be the last time we sleep in a comfortable for awhile.” Garcia lied down on her side, putting her back to Morgan. She gasped out in surprise when she felt Morgan’s strong arm wrap around her, and his hand rested atop hers. He lifted up a bit and stared down at her curiously. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, your hands are cold.” She said hoping to cover up the fact that it was his closeness that had caused her reaction.

“Oh sorry,” He said as he quickly removed his hands and then blew into them and rubbed them together before once again wrapping his arms back around her and grasping her hand with his. “Is that better?”

“Mmmhmm,” Was all that she could muster.

“OK then hit the light and let’s get some sleep.” She did as instructed, reaching out and clicking the lamp off. She then settled in and tried to calm her heart rate and nervousness at Morgan’s closeness. Then he snuggled even closer, so close she could feel his hot breath on her neck, and she knew sleep would be long in coming.