Login

Worries, hesitancy and too much thinking by little_profiler



“So, the two of you are singing in a choir.” Des grinned. “I never knew my baby brother could sing at all.”

“Just because I don’t do it doesn’t mean I can’t do it.” he grumbled.

“It’s a church gospel choir.” Penelope smiled. “And Derek was made one of the leading voices right away. He’s great, well, as you could hear.”

“Mom seems to be really enjoying the party.” Derek changed the topic and pointed his head towards the elder woman who was now dancing with one of her brothers-in-law. “I haven’t seen her laughing so much in… well, actually I can’t even remember the last time I saw her laughing so much.”

“And all that wouldn’t have been possible without your help.” Sarah smiled at Penelope.

“No… I” she blushed a little. “I didn’t really do anything. I mean, I just happen to have a friend here and there…”

“You have friends everywhere.” Derek grinned and leaned over to kiss her cheek. “Which is no wonder to me.” he whispered as he pulled back.

“So, Penelope, you’ve never been to Chicago before?” Des suddenly asked and smiled at the blonde woman across of her.

Penelope shook her head giving her a quizzical look.

Derek frowned at his sister: “What are you up to?”

“Well, you’re going to fly back to Quantico around six p.m. on Sunday, right?” she shrugged. “That means we still have one and a half days left together and Penelope helped us so much that we, Sarah and me, thought we could say thank you. So we decided to show our guest the sights of Chicago. The Brookfield zoo, the Planetarium, stuff like that.”

“Oh, I would love to see that.” Penelope agreed quickly.

“Great.” Derek smiled and put an arm around her. “Plus, I haven’t made a sight-seeing trip through Chicago with my sisters since I was a kid.”

Around two a.m. the last guests left “ Andy being one of them. He hugged Penelope goodbye, just a little too tight, a little too long and his hands a little too far down her back which drew a low grumble from somewhere deep in Derek’s throat.

“Jealous?” Sarah teased and giggled.

“Just one inch and he’d be groping her.” Derek snorted.

This caused Sarah to giggle even more.

When Andy finally let go of Penelope, Derek took a quick step forward and wrapped his arm around her middle pulling her tight against him. “Bye, Andy.” he grumbled.

“Once we’re back at Quantico I could put him on the list of America’s most wanted if you like.” Penelope whispered.

Derek stared at her for a good ten seconds. Then he chuckled: “If he ever touches you like this again he’ll end up on the list of unsolved homicides.”

“You shouldn’t threaten someone like that.” she giggled as they walked up the stairs to his room. “Especially not members of your own family. You know, it makes you a suspect if there’s a connection to the victim.”

“Yeah, but if the body’s never found there won’t even be a case.” he reminded her. “No body, no case. No case, no suspect. And I happen to know some places where I could dump him and he wouldn’t be found for about twelve thousand years or so.”

“How long exactly have you already planned the perfect murder?” she asked playfully.

Derek grinned at her: “Since the day I met you. There were several guys I wanted to sweep out of the way over the years “ Lynch leading the way.”

Penelope poked his ribs and scolded: “You should really learn to at least accept other men in my life.”

“Not if they want to lay you.” he chuckled.

Penelope stemmed her hands on her hips and frowned. “So you think I’m so stupid to let them have what they want?”

Derek was startled and gave her a quizzical look that soon turned into a concerned frown. “No… No, baby girl, I… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

“Relax” she grinned, “I was just kidding.”

“You are mean.” he grumbled but sighed with relief and smirked at her.

“Would you really want me any different?” she teased.

“No.” grinning he hurried over to her, caught her in his arms and kissed her deeply. “Except… a little less clothing would be nice.”

“Derek!” she almost shrieked. “We’re in your mother’s house “ your sisters are sleeping right next door.”

“I’m just saying.” he shrugged and gently nibbled her neck. “I don’t like to go to bed without a little more cuddling… and kissing…”

“Hm… me neither.” Penelope whispered and tilted her head so that he could reach that special spot on her neck. God, she felt like she was going to explode any second.

“Well, then, come to bed and cuddle with me!” Derek smiled pulling her with him.

“I’d like to take a shower first.” Penelope giggled.

“But then you’ll cuddle with me?” he asked the cutest puppy dog look on his face Penelope had ever seen.

Smiling she sashayed over to him and gave him a deep, soulful kiss. “Promised.” she whispered.

Only twenty minutes later they were both laying on the bed, facing each other. They talked for a while about the evening and Penelope was excited about the planned sight-seeing trip the next day questioning Derek about what they could probably visit.

Derek ran his hand up and down her arm while they talked and Penelope drew invisible patterns on his chest until he simply didn’t want to wait any longer and pulled her closer for another passionate kissing and cuddling. He could definitely get used to this.

Well, actually he already was so used to their cuddling at night that he didn’t like imagining being on a case and forced to spend the night miles away from her. But it also meant that now he had yet another reason to hurry catching the bad guys “ and something to look forward to when he came home.

They didn’t sleep very much that night but neither of them cared. And neither of them was really tired the next day.

Derek, Penelope, Des and Sarah started out at the ‘Amazing Chicago’s Funhouse Maze’ which was definitely a great idea to start the day and to start exploring Chicago. They navigated through the maze without much effort since Derek and his two sisters had been there before “ when they’d been children though.

They had a whole lot of fun walking through the mirrors laughing at the deformed images staring back at them and they started chasing each other around like little children causing the other visitors to stare at them as if they were from outer space.

“Last time we did that I was about eight.” Derek smiled a little breathlessly and put his arm around Penelope’s shoulder. “We were here with our parents. That was great.”

“Yeah, that was one of our rare family getaways.” Des sighed. “We couldn’t afford that very often but I guess that’s why it was always something very special.”

“We never did anything like that.” Penelope replied. “I don’t even know if my parents could have afforded it but with five children I guess it wasn’t that easy. Anyway, our only family getaways were camping trips.”

“I bet they’re more fun with your boyfriend than your family.” Sarah giggled and waggled her eyebrows at the couple.

“I hope so.” Derek grinned.

When they reached the ‘Underground Chicago’ maze Penelope’s jaw dropped. It was an amazing image of tunnels with high white pillars ending in round arcs made of red bricks. Des and Sarah went first while Derek and Penelope fell behind a little. Suddenly Derek took her hand and pulled her into a corner hidden from the view of the other visitors. Grinning he leaned down to capture her lips with his.

“Enjoying the day, baby girl?” he whispered as he leaned down to nibble on her neck.

“Hmm.” she purred. “More with every second.”

“You know, I was thinking about something.” he mumbled in the crook of her neck.

Penelope wasn’t really listening all wrapped up in the sensations his kisses sent through her body. “’Bout what?” she gasped.

“The four days of camping” he explained between soft kisses, “and the time we spent with my family were just great. So… I thought that maybe we could… go on a holiday… together.”

Her head shot up and she stared at him tears springing to her eyes. “That would be great.” she whispered.

Smiling Derek leaned down to give her another breathtaking kiss.

“Aw, now that was actually not how I planned this day.” Des giggled.

Penelope blushed but Derek put an arm around her and grinned at his sister: “But that’s the way I planned it.”

Giggling again Des commanded: “Come on, we wanna go to the Planetarium. There’re even darker corners in there.”

Their first stop was an animated 3D-show about the landing of Apollo 11 on the moon and afterwards they attended a lecture 3D-show about Black Holes.

“That was just great!” Penelope gushed. “Reid would have loved this.”

“Yeah, especially the scene where you had the impression you were falling into a black hole.” Derek chuckled. “And I’m sure he would have given lectures about the mistakes or contradicting scientific theories throughout the whole show.”

“Maybe he would have told us something about the theory that the moon landing never took place and it’s all a big conspiracy.” Penelope giggled.

“You really have to bring him with you next time.” Des mumbled. “He’s a cutie.”

“No way, sis!” Derek objected. “He’s only twenty-five “ and I’m rather sure he can’t match up to you “ or any of the Morgan-women.”

“Okay, we’re gonna have lunch in Galileo’s Café and afterwards we’ll visit the Sky Theater.” Sarah explained while they already headed for the mentioned café.

Penelope was stunned when she entered the café and the first thing she saw was the skyline of Chicago. “Wow.” she whispered as she stepped closer to one of the windows.

“Pretty impressive, isn’t it?” Derek smiled and wrapped his arm around her waist. “You should see that by night when they have the fireworks on the Navy Pier. That’s impressive!”

“Can we go and see it?” she asked excitedly. “One day, I mean… not necessarily today. I just… I would really like to see that.”

“And you will, I promise.” he nodded and pecked her temple. “I’ll show you everything you want to see.”

Penelope shivered at the ambiguity of his words. She shook those thoughts off and grinned at him: “Well, then let’s start with some lunch, I’m starving!”

“You know, I can’t remember the last time we spent so much time with each other.” Des said a slight hint of blame in her voice and pointed her fork at her brother.

“Yeah, I know.” Derek smiled. “Work’s keeping me busy.”

“Not at the moment, apparently.” Sarah stated and raised an eyebrow at him giving him the typical interrogative glance only Morgan-women were capable of.

“Okay, you got me!” he laughed and raised his hands defensively. “I just couldn’t stand all your questions anymore about if I was seeing anyone, who it was and when I was going to introduce her to you.”

“So, now you don’t care about these questions anymore?” Des asked innocently and winked at her sister.

“No.” Derek grinned, took Penelope’s hand and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it. Then he turned to lock eyes with her and added: “Because you don’t need to ask me those questions anymore “ never again.”

Des and Sarah grinned widely at each other.

Their next stop was at the Sky Theater were they were provided with breathtaking pictures of constellations, fogs and many other objects of the universe. Penelope and Derek agreed that they should definitely invite Reid to a trip like that for his next birthday.

The last thing they did before they had to call it a day was to take a long walk through Millennium Park. Penelope and Derek were holding hands the whole time “ causing his sisters to tease them a little about it.

But in the end they decided to let them have some time on their own and said they wanted to search for a rest room.

“Isn’t it cute, he’s totally whipped.” Des giggled and looked at her sister through the mirror.

“Yeah” Sarah grinned refreshing her lipstick, “I thought he would never settle down with any woman. I mean, he’s been a womanizer since he was about fifteen.”

“Actually, I haven’t seen him so happy and lighthearted since he was a kid.” she sighed a little. “He’d always been so… I don’t know. He could be cheerful and easy-going but it always seemed like an act.”

“I know what you mean.” Sarah nodded and leaned against the wall to directly look at her sister. “To be honest, I was very worried about him and so was mom. He had to grow up much too fast suddenly being the man in the house when he was only ten. And then what that sleaze Buford did to him…”

Des just nodded and drew in a deep breath.

“That’s why I’m glad he found Penelope. It seems she’s the one who could heal him and… lighten up his life so to speak.” she smiled. “I bet he’ll do anything to keep her.”

“Do you think he’s going to propose?” Des raised an eyebrow at her.

“I don’t know.” she shrugged handing her sister the lipstick. “But I wouldn’t be surprised if he did.”

Des eyed her suspiciously: “Do you know anything I don’t?”

“No” she assured chuckling, “I’m just saying I can imagine he already bought a ring. He really loves her.”

“That much is for sure.” Des agreed. “And do you think she would except it?”

“Wouldn’t be a surprise.” she shrugged again. “Penelope really seems to have grown into this relationship.”

“What do you mean?” she asked and handed Sarah the lipstick back.

“Did you notice that they were holding hands almost the whole day long?” Sarah smiled.

“Yeah, and I bet they’re using the time they have for themselves now just the way they did in the maze.” she giggled.

“Maybe we should interrupt them before they’re arrested for indecency.” Sarah held the door open for her giggling sister.