Login

Worries, hesitancy and too much thinking by little_profiler



“You know that I’m not going to dance with you.” Penelope sighed when they entered the bar Derek had taken her to.

“You don’t have to.” he shrugged. “I just like the food they serve here.”

Raising both her eyebrows at him she asked: “You’ve been here before?”

“Several times.” he nodded.

She folded her arms in front of her chest and frowned in mocked annoyance. “So you take all of your conquests here, huh?” she teased.

Derek just chuckled. “No, baby girl, you’re the first woman I ever brought here. Usually I arrive alone and I go home alone. I just enjoy dancing from time to time.” He led her to one of the tables in a cozy corner and pulled the chair out for her.

“And besides you are not a conquest.” Derek whispered into her ear as she sat down and he pushed the chair slightly towards the table.

She smiled a little sheepishly. If only she could let go of her worries and believe his words. “When I entered my office today I nearly tripped over a huge bouquet of flowers.” she said in a teasing tone. “Do you know anything about that?”

He chuckled: “Am I supposed to know anything?”

“Thank you.” she smiled. “They’re beautiful.”

“Not half as beautiful as you are.” he replied, grabbed her hand and placed a soft kiss on the back of it.

“You’re soft-soaping me again.” she grinned.

Grinning back at her Derek shook his head: “I’m just telling the truth, mama.” At least she wasn’t rolling her eyes any longer every time he paid her a compliment.

The waitress kept her from shooting something back at him. For a moment Penelope watched the dancing couples on the dance floor. It was obvious that all of them knew what they were doing. Why the hell had he brought her here of all places?

This was their third date now, if one didn’t consider going to the Bureau’s New Years party nor the choir practices nor the watching movies and cuddling on her couch between cases real dates. The last two cases had been bad and Derek had been exhausted. So they’d agreed on not going out but staying at home and enjoy the quietness of just the two of them.

So it maybe wasn’t just their third date. But it was the third time they officially dated and Penelope was rather nervous. Derek had told her that he had a special surprise for her today “ and she had no idea what it could be. Maybe he expected something… more from her than just kissing tonight. She wasn’t sure she was willing to…

“Baby girl?” Derek’s voice distracted her from her thoughts.

“Hm?” she raised both her eyebrows giving him a querying look.

“A penny for your thoughts.” he gave her his most irresistible smile.

So not fair! She sighed. He knew she couldn’t say no to that look. “I… was just… thinking about the last case.” she lied.

“Why do I have the impression that you’re lying to me?” he frowned.

Smiling Penelope replied: “Gorgeous, grant a woman a few secrets from time to time. You have a lot of them too.”

Derek raised both his eyebrows and gave her a querying look.

“You haven’t told me yet what the surprise is you’ve been talking about.” she stated.

From the expression on her face he could tell that she was serious. Sighing he answered: “That’s for later, beautiful. And it’s not a secret. It’s just, if I told you now it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore.”

She simply nodded.

Derek took a deep breath. Of course, he could give her the surprise now. But he was a little apprehensive about how she might react. He didn’t want to spoil the date because she got mad at him “ at least not before dinner. Maybe he shouldn’t give her his…

He was interrupted in further worrying about it by the waitress who delivered their meals.

They ate almost in complete silence and shortly after the waitress cleared their table, Penelope heard the beginning of the song “Sway with me”, one of her favorites.

When he heard the first chords of the song he’d been waiting for, Derek stood up and stretched his hand out for Penelope. “What do you think, baby girl? Shall we show these couples how to dance properly?”

“Derek, I told you I…”

“Just this one dance, goddess.” he begged. “And I swear I’ll never bother you again. It’s just that… every time I’ve been here I wished that one day I would have the pleasure of swaying you across this dance floor.”

“Yeah, I’m sure about this.” she murmured.

“Please, Penelope.” he said giving her his best puppy dog look. “I know you can do this.”

She sighed. How could she object if he looked at her like this? “Okay.” she finally whispered.

He just smiled triumphantly.

She swallowed hard and her heart started pounding like mad. She definitely shouldn’t do this. But Penelope grabbed his hand anyway and tried not to show how it startled her when he pulled her up and close against his strong body.

Derek had never danced with her before. Nonetheless, they harmonized perfectly. Everything was just right; every step, every turn and every bend. The dance was close and probably the most erotic dance Penelope had ever danced in her whole life.

Derek’s hands left a pleasurable warmth on every part of her body they touched. Most of the time one of his hands was on her back while the other held her hand to lead her. After a few dancing steps she willingly sank into his arms as he dipped her almost down to the floor.

In a quick move Derek brought Penelope back to her feet, let her do a turn and pulled her close against him afterwards.

Her back leaned against his muscular chest as close as humanly possible while Penelope’s right arm slid around his neck. Sighing she leaned her head against his shoulder and closed her eyes.

Derek buried his head in her smooth, fragrant hair. His right hand slowly stroked down her arm while his left rested on her hip, just a fraction deeper than necessary, while they were slowly swaying to the last chords of the song.

He had to concentrate really hard to keep his hands from giving in to the desire of exploring more of her body. This was so much more than just a dance.

The touch of his hands was like an electric shock. The place where his hand rested on her body, a little lower than it should have been, was almost burning making her skin prickle all over her body.

A quiet sigh of complaint escaped Penelope’s mouth when the song ended.

The couples around them clapped their hands. Neither Penelope nor Derek had noticed that everyone else had stopped dancing to watch them.

They jumped apart, smiled sheepishly and went back to their table.

“Wow, Derek” the waitress smiled at him. “I’ve never seen you dance like that before. That was formidable!”

“I just hadn’t found the right partner yet.” he shrugged.

Penelope just smirked insecurely. She hoped that she hadn’t blushed too much or that at least her make-up could cover it efficiently. That had been one of the hottest experiences in a very long time.

“Did you regret your decision?” Derek grinned.

“Actually…” she sighed and then grinned. “No, I didn’t.”

“I’m relieved to hear that.” he chuckled.

Agreeing that it was late and they both had to get up early the next day, they called it a night and Derek drove his goddess home. He was a little nervous because he hadn’t given her the promised surprise yet. He should have done it earlier that evening when it had been the perfect time.

Well, there had been many perfect times but he was a little apprehensive that she might think he was going too fast. He didn’t want her to feel pressured in any way. But he also thought that their relationship was developing very well and it was time to make her understand that he was really serious.

Derek parked his car outside and insisted on escorting Penelope upstairs to her apartment to make sure she would be fine. He had to ask her and he didn’t want to do it in the car.

Penelope’s hands shook while she unlocked her door and let him in. There was a reason he had insisted on accompanying her.

“Thanks for another wonderful evening.” she said and gave him a radiant smile.

Smiling back Derek stepped forwards, wrapped his arms around her and leaned down to give her a lingering kiss, well aware that if there was another case the next day it would be the last opportunity to capture her soft lips with his for quite a while.

She knew what he wanted and she knew he deserved to get it. So Penelope let her hands slid under his shirt.

He felt her hands on his revealed skin and at the same time the tension building in her body. Derek broke the kiss and pulled back to look at her. “Baby, what are you doing?”

Giving him a puzzled look she whispered: “I… I thought that was… what you wanted.”

He frowned at her and softly replied: “Not if you aren’t ready for this.”

“I am.” she assured her voice telling him that she didn’t believe her own words. “I mean… it’s not that I… don’t want that…”

“We don’t have to do this.” he replied softly.

“I know.” she sighed. “But this is our third date and… well... you know what they say about the third date.”

“Sweetness, we still have so much time.” he carefully put a strand of her golden hair behind her ear. “There’s no need to hurry. We will make love when we both feel the time is right.”

“I’m sorry.” she whispered and looked down. “I know that you deserve more than…”

“Wait!” Derek softly interrupted her. “Baby girl, I don’t even deserve that much. You are the most wonderful woman I ever met and I have no idea what I did in my life to deserve you being a part of it. The reason why I want to be with you is that I love you and not that I just want sex. You know that, right?”

“I… I’m just… scared.” Penelope explained.

“Why?” Derek whispered and caressed her cheek.

She shrugged and lied: “I don’t know.”

He cupped her cheek with his hand and made her look at him. “Who hurt you so much, Penelope?” he carefully asked.

“You mean except Baylor?” she laughed dryly.

“Battle.” Derek corrected automatically but immediately bit his lip.

“I know.” she sighed. “It’s just… I can’t keep his real name in mind. Maybe it’s because when I thought his name was Baylor he seemed to be a very nice guy.”

“So this is just about him?” he wanted to know although he was sure he could answer that question himself.

Penelope shook her head. “I’ve been insecure before… that. It’s just… that he only asked me out to shoot me kinda… proved me right.”

“About what?” Derek pressed her.

Looking down again she mumbled: “That the nice handsome guys are never seriously interested in me.”

“So I’m not nice?” he asked.

“Of course, you are.” Penelope whispered.

“Then I’m not handsome?” Derek smiled.

“Very funny.” she replied.

This time he cupped her face in both his hands and studied her eyes. “But you don’t believe that I’m seriously interested in you.” he concluded. “If you really thought I was a nice guy you wouldn’t doubt that, would you?”

“I… I want to believe you.” she assured him and a tear ran down her cheek.

He frowned again and gently brushed the tear away. “Then why did you think that I would try to pressure you?”

She tried to avoid his eyes and explained: “I… um… When you said you… had a surprise for me and then… you insisted on bringing me to my door… I… I just thought…”

Right, the surprise. He’d completely forgotten about it. “Baby girl, the surprise was something completely different.” he quickly cut her off. Letting go of her Derek fished something out of his pocket and let it slide into her right hand.

Penelope looked at it and swallowed. Her head snapped up and she stared at him, the question running through her mind clearly written in her face.

“I want you to keep my keys because I love you.” he smiled. “And because I love the idea of you having the keys to my apartment.”

“I… I…” she looked back down more tears welling up in her eyes. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be.” he softly said. “Let’s just forget about that, okay? I’m looking forward to taking you out for dinner as soon as possible.”

“Me too.” she smiled.

“How about Saturday?” he suggested. Of course, he wanted to go out with her on Thursday and Friday as well. But he decided that she maybe needed some time. And he would cherish the fact that he could see her at work and at the choir practice the next day.

“That would be great.” she replied.

Derek leaned down to give her a soft kiss and whispered: “It’s going to be a special date.”

She looked at him again and asked: “What’s special about it?”

“I’m sorry.” he smiled. “I fear I can’t tell you more yet. But it’s not that I want to ravish you, okay?”

“Okay.” she laughed sheepishly. “I got your point.”

“Good.” Derek smiled and kissed her lips once more before he headed for the door. “See you tomorrow.”