Login

Loser Lynch by little_profiler



Title: Rescue

Fandom: Criminal Minds

Pairing: Morgan/Garcia

Prompt: #13 Eihwaz (defense, protection)

Word count: 2092

Rating: K

Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.

Summary: Part 7/? of the ‘Loser Lynch’ series. The title pretty much implies what happens.

warnings: spoilers for season 3

AN: First of all a big thanks to Gretchen for beta-reading and, of course, to everyone who reviewed and added the story to favorites and/or story alert. I agree with the last sentence of this chapter which means I’m not sure how many chapters the story is going to have.

I fear you’ll have to wait a little for another update again. There are still two stories for other challenges I have to write and “ believe it or not “ there are stories I’ve written for other fandoms ages ago that I finally want to post. :)

In the meantime, you could spend your time reading other stories. For example, Leaving and Almost Lost by AussieStar. I’m sure you won’t regret reading them.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Dr. Velasquez had called him about five hours ago with the results of her tests, he’d put her on speaker so that the rest of the team could hear her as well. JJ had nearly fainted when she’d heard the results “ but still she believed that Penelope had accidentally been poisoned.

But at least Hotch had decided that they all should head back to Quantico, the case was nearly over anyway. He said that he needed to talk to Lynch and Garcia before they jumped to any conclusions.

Of course, Derek had insisted on going with Hotch “ and so had the rest of the team. So now they were on their way to the apartment Kevin and Penelope had moved in.

He could already hear her scream when he stepped out of the elevator. He should have stayed behind! Maybe now it was already too late. Lynch was about to do God knows what to his baby girl “ not to mention the things he could already have done.

He didn’t wait for any approval when he ran towards the apartment. He didn’t knock, he didn’t even draw his gun. He just kicked in the door and when he entered the bedroom from where her screams came the sight in front of him made him lose it.

Kevin was lying on top of Penelope who was desperately trying to fight him in any way. She was in her underwear, the rest of her clothes torn and lying around the bed.

Derek launched forward, grabbed Lynch and practically threw him against the next wall. Kevin’s begging not to hurt him was answered by a few punches in his face and stomach. “Bloody bastard!” Derek hissed as he stemmed his forearm into Kevin’s throat almost strangling him. He was ready to kill him when he raised his fist once more.

Only then did Hotch interfere. “Morgan!”

Derek snorted and when he turned a little to look at his boss his eyes fell upon the figure on the bed, curled up in a ball and almost entirely hidden under the blanket, hidden from the sight and touches of the people surrounding her bed trying to offer comfort and make her stand up. And his urge to kill this sleaze gave way to an urge to soothe Penelope.

“Get this shitface out of my sight!” he hissed and pushed his way through his co-workers to the bed.

Hotch handcuffed a protesting Kevin with the help of Rossi and pushed him out of the room “ just a bit harder than necessary.

“Don’t touch her!” Derek almost yelled at his co-workers as he knelt down next to the bed. “Get out! Everybody, get out of here!”

A little puzzled and definitely unwillingly JJ, Emily and Reid left the room.

“Baby girl?” Derek softly said. “It’s okay, they’re all gone, it’s just me.”

When she didn’t answer nor react in any way Derek slowly pulled the blanket off of her.

She just curled up more trying to escape from the rest of the world.

Carefully Derek made her turn towards him, placed his hand under her chin and forced her to look at him. He drew in a sharp breath when he saw the bruise on her right cheek and the black eye. If Lynch should ever cross his way again…

Penelope just looked down, away from him. She couldn’t stop the shiver that ran down her spine.

Derek gently pulled her to her feet and into a tight embrace, took off his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders.

“Why… are you here?” Penelope asked after a while.

“Dr. Velasquez called us a few hours ago.” he replied. “I’m sorry I deceived you like this but I… I talked to her, told her about your symptoms and then I brought her a hair sample from you. She tested it.”

“He poisoned me.” she didn’t need to ask that. It was the only logical conclusion.

“Yes.” Derek affirmed. “With some wood preservative or something similar. I’m so sorry, I should have… done something earlier.”

The apartment stayed quiet for a while until JJ poked her head into the bedroom. “The CSI team is here.” she informed them. “They’re searching the apartment now. We should…”

“Go!” Derek interrupted her. “I’ll take Penelope to the hospital.”

Nodding JJ left with a concerned look at her friend.

“Agent Morgan?” one of the CSI people asked as he stepped through the door just a minute later. “We found some wood preservative hidden in the kitchen counter and this in a locked medicine case in the bathroom.”

Derek took the box from him and sadly shook his head. Cytotec. He’d read about that, a stomachic medicine that was also used to induce labor “ and for illegal abortion. “Seems the poisoning wasn’t enough.” he mumbled.

Penelope closed her eyes and buried her face deeper in his chest. Apparently, Kevin had poisoned her with some wood preservative for who knew how long and he’d given her this pill without her knowledge so that she lost their child.

She suddenly felt sick at this thought. She wasn’t sure anymore if she had ever been able to give birth to his child. How could she have been so wrong about him? How could she have been so blind?

“Come on, baby girl.” Derek whispered. “We should take you to the hospital so that they can treat you. You’ll be fine in no time at all.”

“I’m not sure about this.” she replied voicelessly.

“But I am.” Derek said and gently kissed the top of her head. “Because I’ll make sure of that. Now come on, let’s get you outta here.”

“I should get dressed.” she objected weakly.

Derek nodded, unwillingly let go of her and drew in another sharp breath when his eyes fell on the clearly visible bruises on her thighs.

“Sweetness, did he… rape you?” he asked. He knew that he eventually had to ask that question and he’d rather do it here than in the hospital for everyone else to hear.

She shook her head without looking at him. “No” she replied, “I mean, after all he was my boyfriend.”

Derek clenched his fists at her words and said through gritted teeth: “But still if he forced you to do anything you didn’t want to do…”

“He didn’t.” she interrupted him. “You were here in time, remember.”

“And that… was his first attempt?” he wanted to know.

Penelope just nodded.

He closed his eyes for a moment hoping that she told him the truth and turned his back on her so she could get dressed. He heard her search the wardrobe for some clothes.

“I’m done.” she announced after only a few seconds.

When Derek turned around he saw her start to shake again and quickly caught her in his arms. “It’s okay, angel, you’re safe.”

But she pushed him away, took a deep breath and said: “I know. Just take me to the hospital, please! The sooner I get there the sooner I’m outta there again.”

Derek refused to leave her alone. He didn’t even want to leave the examining room but a nurse finally convinced him to do so.

When Hotch arrived, he was pacing the waiting room. Both men had a concerned frown on their faces.

“Is he going to be put behind bars?” was Derek’s first question.

“I’ll make sure of that.” Hotch replied. “She’s still in the examination room?”

Nodding Derek ran a hand over his head. “Did Lynch admit to anything? About… what he did to her?”

“He’s silent on that.” Hotch grumbled. “That’s why we need her clinical report.”

“If he raped her, he’s dead, I swear it. I’m gonna kill him!” Derek mumbled.

“I’ll just pretend I never heard that.” Hotch gave him a deprecating glance.

“What? Don’t you want that bastard’s head on a stick?”

“First of all, I want someone to take care of Garcia.” he replied. “Someone should be with her when she breaks down.”

Derek raised both his eyebrows at him: “You think she will.”

Hotch just frowned at him. Then pointed his head towards the door of the hospital room and answered: “If I were in her position, I would break down.”

Derek nodded and sighed. If only he could go in and be with her!

“Once she’s physically healed I want her to go to therapy.” Hotch added. “They offer several therapies here and I’ll make her join one for at least four weeks.”

“I don’t like that thought and I know she won’t like it either. But I think it’s the right thing to do.” Derek sighed again and ran his hand over his head once more. “I should have stayed behind.” he mumbled more to himself than to Hotch.

Nonetheless the latter quietly replied: “I know.”

“You can go in and see her now.” a nurse interrupted them.

“Ma’am, this is Aaron Hotchner with the FBI, I’m Agent Garcia’s supervisor.” he drew his badge and held it out to the woman. “I need a copy of her clinical report to press charges against her attacker.”

“Of course” the nurse nodded, “but this might take a while.”

“Has she been raped?” Morgan interrupted them. He needed to know.

The nurse frowned at him but when she saw the asking look on Hotch’s face she answered: “We didn’t find any proof of a rape apart from the bruises on her thighs. But we can’t tell for sure. After all he was her boyfriend and…”

Derek nodded briefly before he rushed into the examination room. He didn’t want to hear that or even think about it. All he wanted to do at the moment was to hold her in his arms again. But when he saw her he didn’t dare.

Penelope was sitting on the bed, her hands folded in her lap and her eyes staring at the blanket in front of her. She didn’t even look up when he entered.

Cautiously Derek stepped closer and sat down on the bed next to her. When she still didn’t react he hesitantly reached out and placed his hand over hers.

“The whole time I was hoping that it was just a bad dream.” she finally whispered without taking her eyes off the point in front of her. “But I just didn’t wake up.”

He should have forced her to go with him! He should have carried her out of that goddamn apartment and she wouldn’t have to go through all this! “Baby, I’m so sorry. If we hadn’t been on a case for the past four days I would have checked on you again. But Hotch refused to let me stay behind.”

“Four days?” Penelope raised her eyes at him. “It was… only four days?”

Derek just nodded and gave her another concerned look. The sight of her almost ripped his heart out of his chest. She looked so ill and so… lost. He couldn’t think of another word to describe the way she looked.

“How could I have been so wrong about him?” she asked in a low voice.

Derek tried to give her the most honest smile he could manage at the moment. “We all were wrong about him.” he reminded her.

“No, you weren’t.” Penelope objected. “You knew that he wasn’t a nice guy.”

“Actually, I was just being overprotective.” Derek sighed. “I didn’t know anything about him.”

“But you know me.” she said almost not audible.

Derek frowned at her. But before he could ask what that was supposed to mean Penelope raised her head to look at him again.

“You know, you can go home now.” she said giving him a fake smile. “You don’t have to stay and babysit me.”

“Sorry, sweetness, I’m not going anywhere.” he smiled.

“Really, I’ll be fine.” she sighed. “Just… go, okay.”

“You know me.” Derek gently replied and put a strand of her golden hair behind her ear. “I can’t just go and leave you alone.”

For a moment they remained silent and just looked at each other. Penelope tried to find an answer in his eyes no one could give her and Derek tried to find out how he could make sure that she would be okay, that she could deal with all this.

“You don’t have to worry about me.” she finally assured him. “Kevin is gone. It’s over, right?”

He just nodded as he cupped her cheek with one hand gently brushing his thumb over it. They both knew too well that it was far from being over.