Click here to visit the official POI website 'CBS:POI'.
Click here to register and post POI fics 'Register'.
Click here to read the latest POI fics 'Recently Added'.
Menu
 Home
 Register
 Most Recent
 Categories
 Authors
 Titles
 Challenges
 Help
 Rules
 Search
 Top Tens
 Login
 
 
 Contact


 

RSS



Archive Stats
We have stories and authors in this archive.

There are Members.

Currently online:
1 Guests and .

Newest member:


TagBoard

Author's Chapter Notes:
Please remember to review!! :-)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

A Man's World

Chapter 1

Kat grabbed her coat off the rack in her office, checked the pocket for her wallet and keys, slipped on her pumps and sighed. The rest of her night stretched in front of her, the same as every other night this week. She would go home, make herself dinner and eat it while watching some mindless drivel on TV. When it got to the point where she could no longer stand it, she'd go to bed and then repeat it all over the next night. Granted she knew there were friends she could call, they could all go out to the clubs or perhaps a movie, but what would be the point? She would still inevitably be going back to an empty apartment. Unless she chose to accept one of the invitations that would result from going out to the clubs with her friends. 'Fat chance!' She thought to herself. A one night stand would mean allowing someone to just use her body and that would leave her feeling even worse than being alone.

She locked up the trailer that served as her office while on the job site and carefully picked her way across the site. She was always extra careful, it was one of her trademarks and one of the reasons she never had any trouble finding skilled workers. She hadn't had an on site accident in five years, a fact that was almost unheard of in this business. But she saw the people who worked with her as a family and she was conscious of her responsibility and took their safety very seriously. Besides, her people knew her well enough to know that if anyone had left materials where they shouldn't, she'd find out and have their balls for breakfast.

She reached the gate around the construction site and waited for Frank, the night watchman to come around. Other companies might be able to afford the loss of a few materials here and there, but her small company, in order to remain competitive in the trade, couldn't afford to lose even a welding helmet. She double locked the chain and then connected the alarm. The alarm was more of a deterrent than anything. Anyone who tried to open the gate to get any of the big equipment out would be frightened off by the loud screeching followed by the appearance of Frank from wherever he was at the moment.

"Good evening Ms. Greyson." Frank said when he saw her waiting for him at the gate. "All locked up?"

"Hi Frank. Yes, all locked up. Have a good night and say hi to Sheri!" She asked after his wife and then began walking towards the nearest subway station. She walked down the street, her shoulders thrown back and her head held high with a confidence that belied her internal struggle with the fear of being alone. She thought about how she had inherited her company.

Her parents had been killed in a car accident when she was thirteen, leaving just her and her older brother. They had gone to live with their aunt and uncle for a year but as soon as Mike had turned of legal age, he took over her guardianship with their uncle's blessing. Her dad had had part ownership in a construction company with her uncle at the time of his death. Her uncle continued to run the business in trust for her and her brother, hoping that when he came of age, Mike would take over the company. But then, Mike had surprised everyone by joining the Army. Her uncle had been ready to sell off the business at that point when Kat had stepped up and said that she would run it. Everyone had laughed at the idea but when she made a profit the first year she took over after studying architecture and business in college, they stopped laughing.

The problem with running a construction business was that she was often not taken seriously due to the fact that she was a woman. None of her employees thought she knew what she was talking about when she suggested a few changes here and there. They had been rather resistant but slowly, as her changes began to make the work site safer and the business more profitable, she gained a bit of respect and they were more willing to go along with the bigger, more sweeping changes she had wanted to institute. They became more willing to learn the new techniques she suggested and her designs, while radical, were now a source of pride for her workers. People all around the city were beginning to take notice of her style and she had recently had to turn away work because she was already working on several other projects. Everything was working out just as she had planned and yet...yet she still felt this emptiness inside.

Kat's footsteps were all but silent as she walked down the dark and deserted street. She was not worried about being accosted. One good thing about Mike joining the Army was that he had taught her all manner of self-defense and how to use several different types of weapons. She always carried a Sig P226concealed on her person. It had been a bitch trying to obtain the permit here in NYC but the safety she felt knowing she had it, was priceless.

She turned a corner and suddenly found herself in the middle of a group of men pointing guns at each other. She immediately flattened herself against the building and reached for her own weapon, while taking in the situation. The group consisted of three men on her side of the street, one of them holding a young boy. The men were pointing their guns at a fourth man on the other side of the street. Part of her brain registered how good looking the man was while another part saw the small flicker of his eyes that indicated he knew she was there.

"Let the boy go. Trust me, it's not worth what your boss is paying you." The tall, dark-haired, handsome man said in a voice that sent chills up her spine.

"It's not always the money, my friend." The man next to the one holding the boy replied in heavily accented English. "This boy's father is the whoreson who sent my brother to prison!" The man spat in the direction of the boy, who tried to move away but he was brought up short by the one holding him and cuffed across the head. At this, Kat narrowed her eyes and made a decision. She hated it when people hurt kids!

"Well then, don't say I didn't warn you." The solitary man spoke once more.

"Oh, I don't think I have anything to be worried about." The kidnapper, as Kat realized he must be, replied. Her eyes quickly darted to the darkness behind the lone man who was trying to rescue the child. She saw a slight movement there and only had a split second to react. She was already kicking off her heels when she fired over the rescuer's head. Taken by surprise at shots fired from an unexpected direction, the kidnappers didn't have a chance to react before she had ducked and grabbed the kid up, running towards the solitary man. She sent a silent prayer of thanks heavenward as she heard him returning shots at the kidnappers. After appearing to be shooting at him, he could just as easily have returned her "shot", not realizing that she was shooting at someone sneaking up behind him. The man gave her enough cover fire, that she was able to shoot past him with the child and run quickly down an alley out of the line of fire. She heard his footsteps behind her and the shouts from the kidnappers. After dodging down another alley, she crouched down behind a dumpster to catch her breath. The boy looked up at her with wide, trusting eyes. A second later, they were joined by the boy's would-be rescuer.

"Well Ms... it seems that both young Jim here and I owe you some thanks."

"It's Kat, and you're welcome."

"Thank you Miss Kat, your timing was..."

"No, it's just Kat. And could we quit the small talk here? I'm pretty sure that getting shot at cuts through all the social niceties."

The man gave her a smirk and nodded. "As you say, Kat. I'm Reese. Now, if you'd hand Jim over to me, we need to get out of here. Those Russians won't dare give up. They were paid to do a job and if they don't accomplish it...it won't go well for them."

Kat handed the boy over to Reese and as she did, her hand brushed his. The incidental contact lit her up like a bolt of lightning and she felt parts of her respond, causing her to almost gasp aloud. 'Oh hell, what a time to have feelings like that! Get yourself together, Kat!' She berated herself. She followed Reese quietly down to the end of the alley and down yet another.

Without warning, a shot rang out from in front of them. "Stop!" A harsh voice came from a doorway and one of the kidnappers stepped out, followed by the other three. "There are very few ways out of this area, my friend. And none of them will get you out of this situation! Now, drop your weapons!"

Kat hesitated but threw hers down after she saw Reese drop his. She couldn't believe that he was giving up so easily! One of the men drew a knife out of his belt and approached Reese and the boy.

"Kat." Was all Reese said when he shoved the boy in her direction. Reese then positioned himself in front of her and the boy. The man with the knife just smiled evilly and continued to approach Reese.

Kat grabbed a hold of the boy's small shoulders and pushed him into the doorway behind her. She was determined that no one would harm him. The man with a knife was joined by a second and then a third, all approaching Reese, and all with knives in their hand. 'This is going to get messy.' Was her last thought before instinct took over. Reese dodged two of the men almost at the same time while the third feigned trying to get under his guard. Instead, the third kidnapper rushed right towards her. She managed to block his slash while earning only a nick in return. In front of her she saw Reese kick out and connect with one of his enemies but she didn't have time to observe anything else as her attacker came at her once more. She quickly used one of the moves her brother taught her and in one quick twisting motion, she managed to disarm and knock out her attacker. She leaned down and scooped up Reese's Sig from the ground and shot at the last remaining kidnapper as Reese finished taking down the two who had come after him. Then she reached down, picked up her own Sig and tucked it into the waistband at the small of her back.

In the silence, they both stood there panting. Reese recovered first. "Those were some very good moves there Kat. Remind me never to pick a fight with you! Where did you learn to fight like that?"

His words sent a thrill through Kat. For some reason, she felt like grinning like an idiot. She didn't have a chance to answer though because his phone rang at that exact instant. Giving her a rueful smile that made her legs feel like mush, he turned his back to her and answered it.

"What is it Carter?" He paused. "NOW? But I'm not quite done here. Yes, I have the boy. And you're sure? Ok, I'll be there in just a few minutes." Reese turned back to her.

"Well, it appears I'm needed elsewhere, RIGHT NOW according to my...'boss'. Let me call you a cab before I return Jim here home to his father."

"I'll be fine. You go on and do what you need to do. Bosses shouldn't be ignored." She smiled, thinking of what would happen if any of HER men tried to ignore her orders. "You never know when they'll replace you!"

Kat's smile almost knocked him off his feet, and it was a second before Reese could reply, "I doubt that I'll be replaced...but I'll feel better knowing that you're safe in a cab. It's the least I can do."

Kat recognized the stubborn look in his eyes. God knows she'd seen it enough in her own eyes at times, when lookingin the mirror, so she accepted his offer. Besides, she no longer had any shoes and she wasn't about to go back and look for them! They walked over several streets until they located one that was a bit busier. As Reese hailed her a cab, Kat felt a tug on her skirt. She leaned down and looked the child in the eyes. "You take care of yourself, Jimmy." The boy threw his arms around her neck and hugged her fiercely.

"Thank you for saving me, kitty cat." He whispered in her ear. She hugged him back and then looked up at Reese as he was holding the door open for her. He had a strange look in his eyes.

"Thank you again Kat, for your assistance tonight."

She gave the boy, Jim, one last squeeze before she stood and walked over to the cab. She stepped down onto the street and stood between the door and Reese and looked up at him. She certainly wouldn't call herself short, at 5'6, she was actually considered average height but the way she had to angle her neck just to meet his gaze, she 'felt' awfully short at the moment. Until then, she hadn't noticed how exceptionally tall he was.

"I don't know what your role in all 'this' was tonight but, you're welcome."

She saw Jim walk over and tug on Reese's coat. The smile that he gave the boy as he looked down at him just about knocked her over. Jim's little eyes flicked up at her and then back at John and then he whispered. "Mr. Reese, I have to go potty."

"OK, Jim. Just a second." John looked back up at Kat and the side of his mouth jerked up into this little half smile that almost made her giggle.

She smirked back at him. "I think you need to go Reese. Little Jim there, is doing... 'the dance'." He didn't respond but he did look down at Jim.

Kat moved to get into the cab but she was stopped by his hand on her arm. "Would you like to... maybe... meet for coffee, or...something, sometime?"

Jim tugged on Reese's coat again as he was bouncing. "Please, Mr. Reese. I gotta go bad."

He glanced down at Jim again and then back at Kat. She inhaled to respond but he continued before she could get the first word out. "To thank you...for your help tonight, Kat."

"Reese..I'd really...umm." Her voice broke as she felt his thumb stroke her arm. She took another deep breath to steady both her breathing and her nerves. "John...please call me John." He quickly got out.

"OK, John..."

He really liked the way she said his name.

"Mr. Reeeese." Jim whispered again.

"I'd...like that, but I really think you've gotta go now." She looked down to little Jim, insistently tugging on John's coat again. Then her eyes flickered over to his fingers encircling her arm. He held her for another second before he removed his hand. He nodded and reached down to take the boy's hand in his and Kat couldn't help but notice how it completely swallowed up Jim's tiny little hand.

"OK Jim, let's go." And then he turned and they were rushing down the sidewalk, probably headed to the closest bodega. She turned to get into the cab when she heard John's voice calling her.

"Kat! Will you meet me tomorrow... at The Coffee Pot?"

She smiled as answered back. "9th and 49th, right?"

"Yes! Nine O'Clock?"

"I'll see you then!" He raised an arm in a wave and then turned back around to hurry away with Jim.

She could feel the achingly wide smile on her face as she got into the cab. A date...she had a date! Well, OK maybe not a real date, but she was meeting a man...for coffee. 'Holy God that man was enticing', she thought. And he had good taste in guns and could definitely handle it well, and he had saved a child, and he was so...tall. She sighed heavily and leaned her head against the backseat. She closed her eyes and started replaying the events of the evening. She wondered how he had become involved in saving a kidnapped little boy. He certainly didn't seem like law enforcement. Maybe he was a private investigator that had a military background. When she had caught some of the fight between John and two of the kidnappers she had immediately thought military. Some of his moves reminded her of some of the moves that her brother and his friends had taught her. That was definitely one of the questions she had for him tomorrow.

The cab pulled up to the front of her brownstone.. Kat handed the cabbie some money and stepped out onto the sidewalk. She bounced up the stairs to the front door and let herself in.
She walked into her apartment, pocketed her keys and hung her coat up on the wall hook. For the first time in...she wasn't even sure how long, she didn't head straight for the kitchen to start her dinner. Instead she headed for her bedroom. She flipped on the light and walked over to her closet.

'What am I going to wear tomorrow?' Kat thought. She didn't want to dress up for coffee on a Saturday morning but she certainly wasn't going to go looking like a slob either. She decided on a long sundress with a light sweater. Just enough to keep the morning chill out. She also decided on a pair of high heeled sandals which would make her feel less...short next to him. She chuckled to herself. Usually it was the exact opposite. She hated having to worry about wearing anything higher than her everyday work pumps around men because anything higher and she would tower over them.She knew men were sensitive about those things and she tried to be conscious of that. She also knew that they might feel a little differently about her if they knew she could take down most of them in a fight without much effort. Then there were the steel-toed boots that she wore around the work site which made her feel even less feminine. She might have to dress a little less feminine while at work, but afterwards she liked to dress like the woman she was.

Kat spent the rest of her evening lying on the couch thinking about the man she was meeting with tomorrow and trying desperately to calm her racing heart. She wasn't able to do it so eventually she went in and took a long, hot, bath to help relax her before she crawled into bed. She ended up tossing and turning until almost midnight when she finally succumbed to the welcomed peace of sleep.



Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.


This site and its content are for entertainment purposes only, and not meant to offend anyone or infringe upon anyone's right. All the stories here are the original works of their authors, who are fully responsible for whatever they post here. Online since 1/23/12

PARENTS! Restrict access to this site. Click a links below to find out how.
Cyber Patrol | Surf Watch | Net Nanny | RSAC Rated