Click here to visit the official POI website 'CBS:POI'.
Click here to register and post POI fics 'Register'.
Click here to read the latest POI fics 'Recently Added'.
Menu
 Home
 Register
 Most Recent
 Categories
 Authors
 Titles
 Challenges
 Help
 Rules
 Search
 Top Tens
 Login
 
 
 Contact


 

RSS



Archive Stats
We have stories and authors in this archive.

There are Members.

Currently online:
1 Guests and .

Newest member:


TagBoard


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Madeline pushed open the dark green painted wooden door of the bookstore, the bell above ringing. Madeline shut the door behind her and then made her way to one of the back rows where the sound of books being shelved was. She walked around the corner and found the little aged woman with gray hair standing on a step stool.

“Millie you shouldn’t be up there.” Madeline smiled.

“I am perfectly fine my dear. I’m still the tireless librarian I used to be. Now be a dear and pass me the next pile of books please.” Millie replied with a bright smile.

Madeline shook her head and chuckled. She knelt down and picked up the stack of books and held while Millie arranged them on the shelves. The bookstore was a nice quiet and slow atmosphere which Madeline liked. She was glad to be away from the noisy streets of New York since they reminded her of her previous job. A book lightly hit the top of Madeline’s head bringing her from her reverie.

“I need the next stack, dear. Is everything alright?” Millie said tapping the top of Madeline’s head again with the book.

“Yeah, I was just daydreaming. Here you go.” Madeline held up the last stack of books while Millie finished up.

When Millie was done arranging the books Madeline helped her down from the foot stool. Millie swatted Madeline’s hand away telling her she was still capable of climbing down a stool. Madeline rolled her eyes teasingly.

“I know. You tell me that every day, but I can’t help it. I’m always watching over people in case something happens. Plus you’re the only living relative Lacey.”

Millie walked past Madeline toward the front when the bell above the door rang. Madeline silently followed, but veered to the right to the back room. She punched in the code to the room and pushed it open when it clicked. The pass-code was a security precaution Madeline had installed when she heard the store was broken into before she started working. She never intended to work in the old little store, but when Madeline helped Lacey with an ex-boyfriend Millie insisted she reward her.

“Maddie, you scared me!” Lacey exclaimed.

“Good my plan worked.” Madeline teased.

Madeline walked over to the round table Lacey sat at and took the seat beside her. Madeline leaned forward and looked at the papers spread out in front of Lacey. Lacey rested her elbows on the table while cradling her head in her hands as she looked over the papers. Madeline grabbed the closet paper and scanned over it.

“Algebra?” she asked quirking an eyebrow.

“I should already be done with all my math courses, but I hate math. I’m just glad it’s not Geometry. Then I’d be screwed.”

“If you ever need any help just ask me.” Madeline set the paper back on the table. Lacey turned and hugged the older woman. Madeline laughed and returned the hug with one arm. The door opened and Millie poked her head around it.

“Maddie, that gentleman with the glasses is here to see you.” She said.

“I’ll be right there.” Madeline responded. “After work you’re coming home with me. We’ll work on that math homework of yours. Sound good?”

“Dinner too?” Lacey added.

“I wasn’t just going to let you starve. Choose whatever you want and we’ll get it. Now come on those books aren’t going to shelve themselves.” Madeline smiled holding the door for Lacey.

Madeline approached the familiar man at the counter and smiled as he turned around.

“Miss Simmons, it’s nice to see you again.” He smiled.

“How many times do I have to tell you to call me Maddie, Harold?” she greeted.

“Too many it would seem. I stopped by to give you the book I told you about. I do think you will enjoy it.” Harold held out one of his many rare books. Ocho Comedias by Cervantes.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to ruin it…” she hesitated. It looked as if one touch and it would disintegrate.

“I trust you not to ruin it.” He replied staring into her eyes with a small smile.

Madeline gently took the book from his hand, clutching it to her chest and smiled in return.

“I’ll get it back to you soon. Now about that book you were looking for I’ve found it. If you’ll follow me.” She said turning around.

Madeline walked along the aisles searching for the one she needed. Harold limped behind her, easily keeping up. He watched as she scanned the back aisles of the store. He remembered Maddie telling him that all of the books in the back were rare and out of print. Most of them came from Millie’s own personal collection over the years. Harold stopped as Maddie turned down one of the aisles waiting for him. He followed her and stood to the side as she glided a finger along the spines of the books.

“Ah ha, here you are.” Madeline said, plucking a book from the shelf.

She turned toward Harold and held the book out. He took it from her hand and looked over the cover, Oscar Wilde’s Ravenna.

“Thank you Miss- Maddie. I’m glad you found it.” Harold said.

Madeline smiled and led him back to the front.
He set the book on the counter and Millie pushed it back to him with a smile.

“It’s on the house. You’ve paid enough money here to keep the store going while I’m gone, my dear.” Millie told him.

Madeline said a quick goodbye to Harold as Lacey called for her. Harold watched as she left before leaving the store.
Harold stepped out of the store letting the door close behind him. He looked across the top of his black Lincoln town car and saw Reese staring back at him from across the street. Harold limped around the car and slid into the driver’s seat when the passenger door opened.

“Finch.”

“Hello Mister Reese. Did we get a new number since I left?” Finch asked, looking into the review mirror.

“Yes and it’s someone we both know.” Reese replied looking at the bookstore.

Harold followed Reese’s gaze and found it settled on Madeline and Lacey. The two were laughing about something one of them said as they put books on the shelves. Madeline moved out of Lacey’s reach to avoid the book. Harold returned his gaze to Reese only to find him still staring with a faraway look.

“Simmons I want answers. Why did you kill Agent Browe?” Agent Snow interrogated.

“I didn’t kill him. He was poisoned.” Madeline replied with an edge.

“You were the one to last see him alive and the only one in the room when we arrived. Now why did you kill him?” Snow asked again.

Madeline exhaled sharply and glared at Agent Snow. They never got along and when she first joined the agency Agent Snow tried to intimidate her. She stood her ground and proved him wrong after her first mission was completed successfully and with not hiccups.

“I did not kill him. He was like a brother to me.” She answered. She glared daggers at Snow as he wrote something down on a notepad.

“The evidence tells a different story.” He commented folding his hands.

“Dammit Snow, why would I kill him? I had no reason to!” she exclaimed in frustration.

“Because he was being promoted when you were here longer.” Snow stated.

“He never told me that.” She muttered.

Snow stood from the metal table and exited the room, notepad in hand. John and Kara stood in the viewing room as Snow walked in.

“She didn’t do it.” Kara said, staring at Madeline through the two-way mirror.

“She’s a traitor. She wanted Browe’s job for herself.” Snow replied.

John remained silent as he stared at Madeline. The look in her eyes was pained and grief stricken. The short amount of time he had known her Madeline never let her emotions show, but when Browe was killed she changed. She was stuck working at a desk since the incident and the strain began to show.

“Mister Reese?” Finch asked.

“What is it Finch?”

“I asked how you know her.”

“We worked together five years ago.” He answered climbing out of the car.

Finch didn’t have time to find out more as John shut the door and walked away. Finch started the car and drove away from the curb.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think! I like hearing from everyone.



Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.


This site and its content are for entertainment purposes only, and not meant to offend anyone or infringe upon anyone's right. All the stories here are the original works of their authors, who are fully responsible for whatever they post here. Online since 1/23/12

PARENTS! Restrict access to this site. Click a links below to find out how.
Cyber Patrol | Surf Watch | Net Nanny | RSAC Rated